2023 Academy Awards: Remarkable memories
The 2023 Academy Awards was filled with memorable moments, such as Ke Huy Quan winning best supporting actor for Everything Everywhere All at Once, and Lady Gaga performing without makeup. Hugh Grant and John Travolta also made jokes during their presentations, while Jimmy Kimmel made sure to address safety concerns during the show. Kimmel also brought a donkey on stage in tribute to the Irish film Banshees of Inisherin. During the acceptance speech for best short film, An Irish Goodbye, the directors sang Happy Birthday to James Martin, one of the film's stars.
The 2023 Academy Awards showcased incredible films, moving speeches, and unexpected events.
- Ke Huy Quan, who starred with Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as a child, won best supporting actor for Everything Everywhere All at Once, marking a full-circle moment. During the ceremony, he ran up to the stage to embrace Ford, who presented the award, after the film won best picture.
- Lady Gaga opted for a natural look during her performance of the nominated song Hold My Hand at the 2023 Academy Awards. She went make-up free and wore a plain T-shirt and jeans, a stark contrast to her earlier appearance on the not-so-red carpet, where she donned a black Versace dress with a sheer corset bodice. On the carpet, she also received praise from fans on social media for helping a fallen photographer.
- In the Academy Awards, British actor Hugh Grant presented the award for best production design with his Four Weddings and a Funeral co-star Andie MacDowell. He joked about the importance of a good moisturizer and how MacDowell had used one every day of her life while he had not, stating that she was still stunning while he was “basically a scrotum.” However, when asked by model Ashley Graham about his experience filming the sequel Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Grant seemed less enthusiastic and replied that he was barely in it for three seconds and almost enjoyed filming it.
- Along the In Memoriam tribute at the 2023 Academy Awards, John Travolta paid an emotional tribute to his Grease co-star Olivia Newton John, who was included in the segment. Travolta referenced the iconic song from the film, saying “We remain hopelessly devoted to you” with tears in his eyes.
- During his third hosting of the Academy Awards, Jimmy Kimmel addressed last year’s Oscars controversy when Will Smith slapped Chris Rock on stage. Kimmel made a joke about the incident and ensured the audience’s safety by having strict policies in place. He added that if anyone committed an act of violence during the show, they would be awarded the Oscar for best actor and permitted to give a long speech. Kimmel also mentioned that the Academy has a crisis team in place in case of any unpredictable or violent situations during the show, and advised the audience to do nothing and even give the assailant a hug.
- In the event Jimmy Kimmel paid tribute to the Irish film Banshees of Inisherin by bringing a donkey on stage. Kimmel introduced the animal as a certified emotional support donkey, jokingly saying that they told the airline that to get her on the plane from Ireland. He further added that if anyone needed a hug or was feeling sad, they could approach the donkey.
- During the acceptance speech for best short film, An Irish Goodbye, the directors took the opportunity to celebrate James Martin’s birthday by singing Happy Birthday to him. After expressing their gratitude, director Ross White announced that the award was the second most important thing about the day, as it was Martin’s birthday. He then led the audience in song while Martin held onto the Oscars award.
You may also like
Carbon: Apply now!
Carbon has received positive feedback from customers for its innovative products and its commitment to financial inclusion.Keep Reading